How to get LGV Licence to Drive HGV's
Anyone who passed UK car test before January 1997 probably has LGV C1 / 7.5 tonne entitlement on their car licence.
But if passed after January 1997 and you're over 18 you don't have to take LGV C1 first.
Go straight to LGV C (HGV Class 2) and choose Back-to-Back driver training course if, after passing C, you want LGV C+E (HGV Class 1) as soon as you've got provisional C+E with our Articulated Truck with 13.6 meter Tri-axle Trailer or using one of our Drawbars at our 12 training locations across London & around M25.
Got a licence and want to improve or refresh your skills? Then take Driver Refresher Training
HOW TO GET A HGV LICENCE and start training.......
You need Provisional LGV, and Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception Theory Tests. We can help with our QUICK START PACKAGE.
If you don't already hold C1, you'll also need to pass Initial Driver CPC taking Module 2 - Case Study Theory Test and Module 4 - Practical Demonstration Test to get a Driver Qualification Card which is essential to work as a paid driver. Click on Driver CPC Initial Qualification for more details.
Also, since September 2009 all Lorry, Bus and Coach drivers, no matter when their LGV/PCV test was taken, need Driver CPC Periodic Training.
Visit our school, meet our instructors, try our vehicles and find out how much it costs to get your HGV Licence
And after passing your test......
Boost your job prospects with a Lorry Loader Hiab Certificate or Truck Mounted Forklift Certificate. We can help with finding a job too. And later, more driving qualification - remember, DSA allows LGV C holders to obtain a full manual PCV licence when you pass on a PCV Automatic Passenger Carrying Vehicle Bus or Coach
Interested in borrowing to pay for your course?
Low month repayment loans are available. Call our office for details of how to apply
The law has changed
If you have a manual car licence take your HGV/LGV driving test on
OUR BRAND NEW FULLY AUTOMATIC LGV C & C+E Transmission Trucks
and get your FULL MANUAL HGV LICENCE
Most modern trucks are automatics
Benefits of training on AUTO TRUCKS
- Easy to learn
- Quicker to pass
- Smaller amount of training needed
- Less cost to get your C and C+E Licence
AND REMEMBER -after you’ve passed and got your Driver Qualification Card
We give you a FREE 1 hour driver development TASTER session
on a manual gear box training vehicle
so you get familiar with that type of transmission too
Any way you look at it - YOU WIN
However, if you decide prefer training on a MANUAL TRUCK please call for details
Why is learning on an AUTO LGV so much easier than a manual vehicle?
No need to learn a Range Change Gear Box
- No High and Low Buttons to become confused over
- No matching revs / speed to select correct gear
- No assessing or decision making required to try to work out the correct gear (out of 9 gears) for any particular driving situation.
- No need to learn about correct way to ‘block’ gear change
No distractions at Roundabouts or Road Junctions
- No need to practice for hours to get the right speed to select the right gear for difficult junctions.
- Easily adjust your speed when approaching road junctions without the need to predict which gear to select to be clear to go.
- No need go over and over again, learning the correct gears (up or down the gear box) for complicated roundabouts that have multiple lanes and exits.
- Give your full attention to lane discipline and other road users especially cyclists
Concentrate on steering and positioning
- No gear stick means when driving your hands can always be in the correct pull and push ’10 to 2’ position on the steering wheel
- Easily negotiate hazards (like parked vehicles, overhanging shop blinds and traffic bollards) as your concentration is not diluted thinking about correct gear selection.
- Gain confidence with the width and size of a larger vehicle without distraction
Concentrate on mirrors & blind spots
- Little chance of failing a test due to missed mirror checks because no gears means no added distractions.
- No forgetting to check blind spots at appropriate times (as can happen if drivers are maxed out on operating the vehicle controls/gears).
Concentrate on driving to the test pattern
- Learn to drive the way your Examiner wants, without the added burden of learning to ‘handle’ the gears.
- Get the maximum benefit from your instructors training as you won’t be so physically tired toward the end of each lesson
Many companies now choose to operate Auto Trucks because they get:
- Improved fuel consumption, lower pollution emissions and reduced maintenance costs, which means their vehicles are working for longer and costing them less to run.